One of the first steps to successful marketing is to begin your conversation where your buyer is now – not where you would like them to be.
Remember that – where THEY ARE not where you want them to be (aka, ready to buy perhaps!)
If you want your message to penetrate you need to step into your buyers/prospects shoes and consider what questions or concerns they may have with their current situation.
These are what we call the “YES, BUT…” questions, the ones that sound like:
“Yes, I want to buy your product/service BUT …..”
These are the doubts/questions that prevent the prospect from hearing your message and therefore make your chances of persuading the prospect to buy almost impossible.
For example, if you are a personal trainer and you are promoting your upcoming Spring group coaching course, you are likely to say things like:
- Spring is the time to start getting into shape for summer
- Fun group classes starting soon
- The most affordable and effective way to lose those unwanted kilos and get fit
- No lock-in contracts, etc etc
The question now is, what are the YES, BUT questions that will be triggered in the mind of your prospective buyer when they see your upcoming Spring group coaching course promo?
- I don’t think I’m fit enough to join this group
- This is an outdoor program; what happens if it’s raining?
- I’ve started these types of things before, and I never see it through .. etc etc etc
To help remove your buyer’s roadblocks let’s do a little exercise together.
- List the 3 most common roadblocks you encounter or are aware of right now.
I would say that the three biggest roadblocks I encounter, for my one-to-one coaching program, would be
- Size of business
2. Identify what are the prospects concerns with each perceived roadblock.
OK, so cost is all about whether it’s a good investment, whether they will see a good return on that investment, money is tight, and it will be a stretch, but they know they need help, so it’s a never ending circle of I need help, but I can’t afford help (or they think they can’t).
Time – they feel they are already SO busy in their business and therefore finding time to (a) actually show up to the coaching and (b) implement what the coach/mentor talks about or what they recommend comes with a cold rush of panic because the days are short enough now.
Size of the business – they think they are too small. That coaching and mentoring is only for bigger businesses than them, they are only a one person show or only turn over less than 100K or not a million – they don’t feel their business is worthy of some coaching due to its size.
3. Create an outline of a marketing message you need to build to neutralise each potential roadblock in the prospective buyer’s decision making.
This is an outline of a marketing message to neutralise each potential roadblock above to encourage the buyer to buy would be:
- Do you need help to grow your business? You’re so busy being busy and doing all the doing that making more money, doing MORE things seems impossible? And you’re doing all this work and not paying yourself? I know, I get it. You need someone to have YOUR back, simplify this business thing, keep you on track with some accountability and be a sounding board for all the tiny and the huge questions you have as you navigate business. If you are feeling like this, it’s time to ask for help. Help from someone who’s been where you have been, has grown a successful business, who aligns with your values and you know has the skills you are missing. Let’s chat. Let’s have a 20 minute no obligation chat to see if I can help you and if we are the right fit. Click here ……
That’s mine – or at least a draft.
Now – after doing that exercise, you’ll have three messages because you have three common roadblocks.
The bottom line is if you want to convert more people from a prospect to a customer, you will need to eliminate their YES, BUT questions.
Now, it’s time for you to practice sharing your wisdom on a social channel, via video – so I have a challenge for you!
Choose one of the YES, BUT marketing messages you created to create a video script.
It doesn’t matter if you aren’t launching something right now, you are always selling, just like you are always marketing!
So choose the best one from the list you just made which is the common roadblock that you see as the most applicable right now and write a super quick video script for it.
Think 60 seconds or less, so you can put it on an Instagram or Facebook Story.
These things aren’t war and peace, it’s all about dealing with the objections as to why people aren’t buying from you.
I don’t know about you, but I have people on my list, on my socials and in my world who seemingly come out of nowhere to buy from me – buy my coaching. But the truth is they are in the background, watching, reading, listening, doing their YES BUT research on me until they are ready to buy.
I, like you, hope to hasten that process by dealing better with the YES, BUT questions.
Let’s continue to chat about this over in my Like Minded Business Owners Facebook group – you can join on Facebook if you haven’t already!
Put your drafts in there for me to read and give you some feedback – as well as the other amazing business owners and experts in the group. Just make sure you tag me so I see it – bloomin’ algorithm sometimes!
Another amazing reason to come and join that community!
Do you need some help working out the YES BUT process as it applies to your business? I can HELP YOU! Simply book a discovery call with me here!
And again, don’t forget to join my Like Minded Business Owners Facebook group. It’s such a great community of people who are so willing to help out others!
Or you can DM me on Instagram or send me an email email@example.com
I wish to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land, the Yorta Yorta People, on which I conduct my business today and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples reading this blog post today.
About the Author:
Jenn Donovan of Social Media & Marketing Australia. Jenn’s a coach and mentor from rural NSW and is all about empowering business owners to earn what they’re worth so they can make a bigger difference in the world. The Founder of Buy From a Bush Business, Co-Founder of Spend With Us – Buy From a Bush Business Marketplace and host of the very popular podcast Small Business Made Simple, Jenn is all about community and humans interacting with humans! H2H Marketing – human to human marketing. Jenn talks the talk but importantly walks the walk! Jenn’s online community is over 320,000 with her famous Facebook Group currently at almost 365,000 members and still growing every day. She’s the major of her own little online city!
Get in touch – www.socialmediaandmarketing.com.au
On Instagram – @jenndonovan_
On Facebook – Jenn Donovan
Or on LinkedIn as Jenn Donovan