Podcasting is, hands down, the best marketing strategy I have implemented into my business (and that’s saying something as I’m a marketer!)
My love for podcasting runs deep.
A long-time listener of podcasts and dreamer of one day having my own.
I know have two!
One is marketing, social media, business focussed with a focus on helping small business owners grow their profit, profile and audience and the second podcast focusses on life and business based on interviews of rural and regional small business owners.
Podcasting is a fabulous way to build a genuine connection with your audience.
How, you might ask – well I’ll tell you – your audience will hear:
- Your expertise
Your sense of humour (or lack of it…lol!)
- Your professionalism (or lack of it!)
AND – it is one of the best ways to keep your audience engaged for long period of time – in fact I’d say the BEST way.
Marketing experts will tell you that between 60-180 seconds is the best timing for videos on social media due to people’s attention spans. YET – you can keep their attention for up to 60 minutes on a podcast.
As a business owner – that has to pique your interest!
WHO SHOULD START A PODCAST?
Even if you think you don’t have a voice for radio (this was one of my roadblocks to starting), do it anyway.
When I started my first podcast episode, I thought, for sure, I’d run out of things to say after around 27 episodes. I am now up to 155 (as at October 2021) and I’ve still got too much to say to be looking at finishing any time soon!
But just like any business or marketing strategy, you do have to have a strategy behind your podcast too – that is unless it’s not for your business – then in that case, just do it!
For a business based podcast through, you need to put some thought into:
- Does your audience listen to podcasts?
- Who is the ideal audience?
- What would the overall theme of the podcast be?
- Do I have time to be consistent with a podcast?
- What’s the outcome I am looking for?
That last question is so important.
As a marketing thought leader, I am always encouraging people to start with the end in mind.
If you don’t know what you want from the podcast, then you will soon loose enthusiasm.
WHERE TO START
Like I said above, start with the end in mind. Know the goal of the podcast – to entertain, to teach, for brand awareness, to share expertise, to help small business owners grow their business. The choice is yours for the outcome you are after, but just know the end goal.
Then start to think about:
- A name of the podcast – and then do the following:
- Check to see if that name is already
- Register any domains needed, social handles and so forth.
- When naming think key words for searchability – because unless you’re already famous, people might not find you by your name or some quirky play on words – simple and direct is best. Mine are Small Business Made Simple and Stories from the Bush. Read the title – you pretty much know what the podcasts are about!
- Format of the podcast – do you want:
- Solo episodes
- Interview style
- Repurpose of IGTV or YouTube content
- Length of show – thinking about your audience. My audience is busy small business owners, so I like to stick to below 20 minutes – but interviews often go over, because my guests are just fabulous! But I think 20 minutes of listening to just me, is enough!
- Equipment – I’ll come to that!
- Artwork – you’ll need a podcast cover image. I’d highly recommend your face on it – human to human marketing and easy to read fonts. Just note – you can change it, not too often, but it is possible, I changed mine around episode 60 I think. The first one I did myself, the second one I had done professionally. It was a little work – but mainly on my own website.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
Equipment (insert eye roll), this is where hopeful podcasters get stuck. There’s SO much to choose from and, frankly, it’s confusing.
So, here’s the home truth, you don’t really need any equipment besides a laptop/computer, your phone earphones with a mic build in and software for recording and editing.
Don’t get hung up on the tech. Yes there are amazing mics out there and they range in price enormously, but you are just starting out – so let’s see if podcasting is for you before you invest thousands.
Admittedly I do have a mic – I purchased it from Amazon and it’s great and from memory it was under $100.
I have since found out, when looking at upgrading, that my choice was an even better one than I thought. My mic is a dynamic mic – which means it’s more forgiving and generally only picks up sounds that I want it too – as opposed to a condenser mic which picks up everything! Now I live on a farm with animals, tractors, kids, noisy farming husband – so my mic is perfect for what I need – cheap yes, but fabulous!
For recording and editing I use Zoom when doing interviews and Camtasia for editing and solo recording.
If you’re a podcaster reading this you’ll probably think “there’s plenty of better ones than those Jenn” and you’re probably right – but that’s how I’ve done all 155 episodes so far!
If you have a Mac computer – garage band is perfect and free with your computer!
My point is, don’t get hung up here – just start.
You’ve probably already got everything you need, you just need a NUDGE. So, here it is – your NUDGE to start!
3 FINAL TIPS TO HELP YOU ON YOUR PODCASTING WAY
- Listen to podcasts – if you don’t already. Learn what you do and don’t like. Pull on your marketing hat and listen to them as a marketer – not as a listener.
- Record 3-4 episodes to launch. Give your audience more than 1 episode to listen to when you first launch and then be consistent from there.
My small business podcast has a new episode weekly, however, my stories from the bush podcast is seasonal – so I drop a whole season at once.
Choose what suits your life and audience and do that.
- Just start! If you’ve been thinking about doing it. Just do it. My first episode is probably terrible. I remember editing every breathe and blemish, but I learnt not too. If you listen to my podcast, I’ll sound the same as if you were standing talking to me face to face!
I’ve been known to laugh, snort, and cry on my podcast!
Podcasting can be a lot of work but the benefits to your business, your branding and your expertise make it all worth it.
As I said at the beginning, the best marketing strategy I have implemented into my business.
I’d love you to come listen!
You can find Small Business Made Simple in your fav podcasting app or www.socialmediaandmarketing.com.au/podcast
And you can find Stories from the Bush in your fav podcasting app as well or here: https://www.spendwithus.com.au/stories-from-the-bush-podcast/
If a podcast is on your radar, and you would like some coaching or mentoring, then book a call with me!
Send me a message on any of my social platforms or book a call at http://bit.ly/Discoverwithjenn
You can also access my wonderful Facebook Community dedicated to all things small business – Like Minded Business Owners. It is an awesome bunch of small business owners in the group who share a wealth of knowledge – please join if you aren’t already a member and become a part of a wonderful community!
Or you can DM me on Instagram or shoot me an email email@example.com
I wish to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land, the Yorta Yorta People, on which I conduct my business today and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples reading this blog post today.
About the Author:
Jenn Donovan of Social Media & Marketing Australia. Jenn’s a coach and mentor from rural NSW and is all about empowering business owners to earn what they’re worth so they can make a bigger difference in the world. The Founder of Buy From a Bush Business, Co-Founder of Spend With Us – Buy From a Bush Business Marketplace and host of the very popular podcast Small Business Made Simple, Jenn is all about community and humans interacting with humans! H2H Marketing – human to human marketing. Jenn talks the talk but importantly walks the walk! Jenn’s online community is over 320,000 with her famous Facebook Group currently at almost 320,000 members and still growing every day. She’s the major of her own little online city!
Get in touch – www.socialmediaandmarketing.com.au
On Instagram – @jenndonovan_
On Facebook – Social Media and Marketing AU
Or on LinkedIn as Jenn Donovan