Filming video for your small business social media is something that sends many (many!) business owners into a spin. Most people hate it – and I completely understand why!
However, the uptake in engagement when people get themselves onto video in their social media is something that cannot be denied.
So, this post is all about you getting on video, you getting over the fear of video and being challenged – should you choose to accept it!
I talk about human to human marketing, in fact I talk about it so often, I think people are either sick of it or do it to shut me up!
And showing up is the first “S” in my 3 S’s of Action strategy I teach my clients.
You need to show up! You have to show up as you.
If you want to grow a successful business going forward, and you don’t have the marketing budget of McDonalds or Supercheap Auto – then you simply have to show up as you.
And the thing with showing up in your social media is that it’s absolutely one of the most effective ways of standing out in this crowded, noisy marketplace we live in.
Showing up can of course be in the form of photos or videos.
So many business owners I talk to, every day, have a fear of showing up online and often ask me how to get over this fear.
It is such a fear that I even dedicated a week to it in the 30 Day Social Media Challenge I recently ran. This challenge 100% took people out of their comfort zone but people jumped in and did it any way (I was so proud of them all!).
And the best bit – after completing the challenge, my participants are having a ball with video – it’s not that they might not be scared anymore, but they are learning its power and as my friend Michelle Brown said “I’m more stubborn than I am scared”.
She maybe scared but she’s buggered if that’s going to stop her!
Perhaps you need to feel the same way as my 30 Day Social Media Challenge participants?
So, here you go – my tips on how to start showing up online to build your brand:
- Take photos of you holding your products – making the product the hero of the photo – but you’re still in it.
- Use Stories – Facebook and Instagram – they only last 24 hours – that’s not long – you’ll sleep for half of that (maybe ?!?!)
- Use features on your camera like time lapse or slow-motion or boomerang to make interesting videos of your day.
- Put the camera in front of you and press record – don’t touch it no matter how many mistakes you make – just keep talking. Get used to talking to the camera.
- Get a professional photo shoot done – those pros can make people like amazing!
- Use cool filters like those available through Instagram or one of my favourites is Snow – an app called Snow. It puts my makeup on for me! Now side note, you don’t have to have make up on to do a video – that’s my choice, you do you. There’s no right or wrong.
- Stop comparing yourself to others – it probably took them 10 takes to get that video right and they probably look that sensational because they have great light or a filter over the top! I know people who have their hair done once a week – so they always look amazing in videos! Stop comparing!
Now if you’re a long time listening of my podcast or follower on socials, you’ve probably heard this story before.
And I’ll let you in on a secret……. I hate video!
But I DO IT ANYWAY!
Because I know I have to – I don’t love it – but I do it. A bit like cooking meals for my family actually!
A few years back, in fact probably 4 or 5 now, I was at a marketing course, and just before lunch they gave us a video challenge.
We had to go live on our social media during lunch. Heart racing … live … seriously!!?!??
I was complaining (clearly a little too much) to my friend Sam over lunch, whining that I had to do it – because I am more stubborn than I am scared, so I knew I would do it. (Failing to do a challenge is not something I’d ever entertain – no matter what!)
So Sam to shut me up from complaining turned and said “Jenn, you sound and look exactly the same on video as you do to me right now. Are you worried about talking to me now? Do you feel stupid talking to me now? No – clearly not – so just do the ruddy video and let’s eat lunch”.
Sam made me cry that day.
That was harsh Sam, harsh.
But a massive reality check too!
Human to human marketing, as I say now, is exactly that. If you watch any of my videos when you follow me on Facebook or my Instagram, if you listen to my podcast, or however you find me online – and then you meet me in real life – it’s going to be same me!
I will sound the same (maybe a little more sweary), look the same, you are going to see the same me!
And that’s the end goal for my business and that should be the end goal for yours (or one of them!)
So, you might ask “What about when you don’t feel like showing up Jenn?”
My answer to that is – I don’t!
And that’s perfectly ok. But when I have to or want to, I know that my harshest critic will be me and the others who judge me in a negative way, well they aren’t my people – so it’s a great big “Bye Felicia” to them!
I’m not going to spend more time convincing you that you need to do more video or show up as you on your socials.
I will say – just do it once, practice, and you will be forever grateful!
I promise you it will be one of the most engaging posts you do.
So, here’s my challenge, should you accept it:
This video is going to be about you!
- Pick up your phone and press record.
- Tell your audience about YOU. Your name, your business name, and what you’re doing and why you’re doing a video like this.
For example, “Hi, my name is Jenn, and my business is Social Media and Marketing Australia. I’m doing a video challenge. Some crazy lady on a blog post told me I had to introduce myself, so here I am – introducing myself! In my business I help small business owners earn what they’re worth, by boosting their profile and profits, so they can make a bigger difference in the world, without the business overwhelm. A quirky fact about me that nobody really knows is that I owned a Kitchenware shop for 7 years and still can’t cook! Thanks to this challenge, I am working at showing up more on video – if you are like me and also don’t really like video – join me in practicing!”
- Head to your social media account on Facebook or Instagram
- Go to your insights and look at your most popular posts.
- Choose one – not the funny one of the dog or cat or mother in law doing something hilarious – a business post that was popular
- Brilliant – that’s your video topic for this challenge.
- If you want, make some notes, perhaps put some points on a sticky note and stick it in your view.
- Get your phone, press record and start talking. Don’t stop – no matter how many mistakes you make – just keep going!
- Once you’ve stopped making mistakes or feel like its time, press stop, press delete, press record and GO!
- Post to social media.
If you’re super keen on getting more out of your social media – and you want a safe space to chat business or share your video, then think about joining my Like Minded Business Owners Facebook group and I will welcome you there! It’s a great support network and you can practice your videos, so many people in the group would love to give you some kind (but honest) feedback!
Please pinkie promise me you will do one of the video challenges above or at the very least, start talking to your phone with the record button on, just getting used to showing up.
It’s scary – but it’s not really. The world will keep turning, your people will still love you, probably more than ever, and those to criticise are either jealous or bad people.
I’d love to see them – I’ll cheer you on!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jenn Donovan is a marketing strategist and social media extraordinaire, coach and mentor to savvy business owners. Owner and Founder of Social Media & Marketing Australia.
With a passion for making business simple, because it’s isn’t easy but it should be simple or at least simpler, she’s built a reputation for helping other small business owners simplify their marketing and businesses so they can reach their goals, be more profitable and live the dream (finding the freedom they set out to achieve when they started … the illusive small business owner freedom dream …!)
Jenn believes in giving before asking and that’s why she’s the host of the popular Small Business Made Simple Podcast