I was scrolling on Facebook recently and I came across a post in a Facebook group that asked for tips and tricks on how to grow your Facebook presence “these days”.
It was a really interesting post because I think a lot of us small business owners have given up on Facebook for business.
We think our target audience isn’t there, we think Facebook is dead and we don’t pay much attention to it.
But the reality is probably quite different. If this is you, you think Facebook is a waste of space or marketing collateral, I would encourage you to go to your google analytics and have a look at where your traffic is REALLY coming from. Is it really Instagram or LinkedIn or your emails as you might think – or is Facebook in your top 3?
Now let’s just suppose that you are keen to find out some ways to grow your Facebook business presence.
Below are a mixture of tips that were suggestions from this Facebook post that I mentioned above, and I’ve also some of my own.
And – as a disclaimer – I realised afterwards that I made a whoopsie in this, whereby I wrote down some responses, but not the people’s names – so I do apologise for that. Next time I will do better.
- Daily engaging content. Weekly lives. Focus on Growth, engagement and lead generation – this one was from a poster and I liked it a lot. Makes great strategic sense.
- Respond to every comment. Engage with your audience.
- Go Live – this person was after my heart!
- Make content that’s educational, fun and entertaining.
- Start your Email list now – if you don’t have a place to give them the next step – they are lost opportunities. Obviously, I love this one!
- Get into small groups and promote yourself once a week on the designated “promotion” days – create a lead magnet and share that. It is slow but it does bring in good quality leads.
- Use your profile to grow first. This is interesting, by profile they meant your personal Facebook. I have to say it is a growing trend I am seeing more and more of. I’m open to it – how about you?
- Run Facebook ads to your page and then invite them into your Facebook group.
- Go like other pages that are in your target audience or good collaborators that might have your audience but aren’t your competition. I would call this my Hansel and Gretel strategy – sprinkle your breadcrumbs everywhere!
- You will be surprised – keep creating content. People are watching – just not liking and commenting. This is great advice and something I think more people need to be aware of. Think of how you use social media – do you like and comment much? Probably not. So this is going to be true of your audience too.
- Don’t oversell. Good advice.
- If you have a group – don’t forget to tell people you have one on other platforms and invite them to connect.
- Never give up. Best advice.
So what would I add to that? Probably these tips:
- Tell more stories. People will do business with people they know, like and trust and telling stories is the best way to do that. Stories about how you got into business, stories about what you did on the weekend, stories about why sustainability is important to you, stories about how you hate people with powerful driving lights because they blind you at night as they come over the hills (or maybe that’s just me!). Tell more stories.
- Make some interactive content with polls and quizzes.
- Change out your Facebook cover photo – make it amazing and ensure it has a call to action – eg/ lead magnet or something like that.
- Give some behind the scenes content – refer to my point 1 as to why – know like and trust.
- Get strategic at getting your customers to help you market your business using UGC content – user-generated content.
- Showcase and highlight followers and clients – like a “Fan of the Week” or something like that. Be generous.
- AMA – ask me anything posts – again be generous with your time and responses.
- Collaborations and Partnerships
But the most important thing, for me and what I would like you to do as well is to produce high quality, engaging content and use social media, such as Facebook, to get people off Facebook with an amazing lead magnet that they are prepared to give up their email address for.
So, those are some tips for growing your Facebook in 2023 and beyond. Nothing earth shattering but before you brush them aside and think, well I have tried them, I would nudge you and say, have you?
Have you really tried them all?
Have you consistently gone live giving value or doing an ask me anything live?
Have you consistently shown up week after week giving value in Facebook groups full of your ideal clients or customers – as well as “selling” on the days you are allowed to?
Consider this blog post your nudge!
Oh – and if you have a tip for engaging with your Facebook audience that I might have missed, let me know!
Join me and join in the fun in my Facebook group Like Minded Business Owners https://www.facebook.com/groups/LikeMindedBusinessOwners – love to hear from you over there.
If you want to chat to me about customising a Facebook strategy to your audience, go to https://calendly.com/jenn-smm/discovery and you can make an appointment to chat with me.
I would love for you to book a free discovery call with me to talk about how I can help your nail your business goals, planning, strategy, marketing and social media! Simply click the link and grab a spot!
My Like Minded Business Owners Facebook group is also a great community to join – full of awesome people in small business!
I wish to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land, the Yorta Yorta People, on which I conduct my business today and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples reading this blog post today.
About the Author:
Jenn Donovan of Social Media & Marketing Australia. Jenn’s an expert marketing coach and mentor from rural NSW. She is all about empowering business owners to earn what they’re worth so they can make a bigger difference in the world. Not only is she a sought after expert on all things marketing for Small Business, she is a keynote speaker, author, was the Founder of Buy From a Bush Business and a Co-Founder of Spend With Us e-commerce marketplace, and is the host of the very popular podcast Small Business Made Simple and Stories from the Bush. Jenn is all about community and humans interacting with humans! H2H Marketing – human to human marketing. Jenn talks the talk but importantly walks the walk!
Get in touch – www.socialmediaandmarketing.com.au
On Instagram – @jenndonovan_
On Facebook – Jenn Donovan
Or on LinkedIn as Jenn Donovan